Watch as Farmers Grow

Author Archives: RR

Third Year Summary – 2013

October 30th, 2013 | Posted by RR in Equipment - (Comments Off on Third Year Summary – 2013)

Third Year Summary -2013 It’s coming to the end of my three year training period at North Slope Farm. The years have passed in the blink of an eye but the amount of personal growth and knowledge I’ve experienced and gained will stick with me for a lifetime. Organic farming is a trade that is … Read more

Monthly Summary – September 2012

September 11th, 2013 | Posted by RR in Monthly Summary - (Comments Off on Monthly Summary – September 2012)

Monthly Summary – September 2012 Posted By: RR    Date:9/11/13 General Observations: Last year, the month of September gave us a bountiful harvest while operations were working smoothly! Equipment 63 hrs: KG and RR received various equipment training. The Billy Goat walk-behind mower arrived.  Fields were disk-harrowed for cover crop seeding.  Veg. B mid was chiseled and … Read more

Monthly Summary – June 2012

June 7th, 2013 | Posted by RR in Monthly Summary - (Comments Off on Monthly Summary – June 2012)

Monthly Summary – June 2012 General Observations: Life on the farm is on-going and it’s nice to look back and find that activities are much the same this year as with last.  Last June, the grass needed to be mowed or whacked regularly, hay fields needed to be cut and baled.  With three weekly last year, … Read more

Third Year Introduction

May 15th, 2013 | Posted by RR in Training - (Comments Off on Third Year Introduction)

  Introduction to 3rd Year Focus RR 5/15/13 Intent- My second year was spent focusing on greenhouse production. I found that it took a lot of time to manage and that I needing more training in other elements of the operation. So, this year, instead of focusing on one particular element, I want to be … Read more

Monthly Summary – March 2012

March 27th, 2013 | Posted by RR in Monthly Summary - (Comments Off on Monthly Summary – March 2012)

Monthly Summary – March 2012 General Observations: Last March we recorded long periods of warm and dry weather during the first few weeks. At night, temperatures sometimes dropped below freezing, especially toward the end of the month. The warmer weather made more outdoor work possible, and crop care was in full swing. But indoor work … Read more

Greenhouse 2012 Summary

March 21st, 2013 | Posted by RR in Greenhouse - (Comments Off on Greenhouse 2012 Summary)

Greenhouse 2012 Summary Heated Greenhouse This structure held all our seedling successions for the farm and for sale. There was very bad aphid infestation, noticed in late March, and became full-blown a month later.  An OMRI-approved insecticidal soap, M-Pede, was bought and used according to the directions (except we found the hard way that certain … Read more

Introduction to Second Year Focus

September 19th, 2012 | Posted by RR in Greenhouse - (Comments Off on Introduction to Second Year Focus)

Greenhouse Element Introduction Written by: Rita Date: 4/12/12 Intent: To continue the management practices of greenhouse productions at North Slope Farm. Parameters: As a certified organic farm, we operate under organic standards and procedures from NOFA New Jersey as well as the USDA.  To uphold these organization’s requirements for organic certification, our greenhouse management practices … Read more

Monthly Summary July 2010

July 1st, 2011 | Posted by RR in Monthly Summary - (55 Comments)

  Monthly Summary –_July_, 2010 ___RR__: Logs and records reviewed, and summary prepared 6/30/11 General Observations:  When I think of July, I think of sitting on the porch after a long day of with my hand wrapped around a cold drink. And I imagine that’s just what the crew did last July after a long … Read more

Monthly Summary April 2010

March 31st, 2011 | Posted by RR in Monthly Summary - (Comments Off on Monthly Summary April 2010)

Monthly Summary – April, 2010 Rita: Logs and records reviewed, and summary prepared 3/25/11  General Observations: As a new trainee at North Slope Farm, I learned that last April was filled with all sorts of excitement. The weather was interesting as the month started with a sunny heat wave followed by a thunderstorm that led … Read more